Housing Benefit

  1. Who can claim
  2. What you'll get
  3. How you’re paid (selected)
  4. Claim Housing Benefit

How you’re paid

If you rent your home from 

  • the Council, your Housing Benefit is paid straight into your rent account
  • a registered social landlord, such as a housing association, your Housing Benefit may be paid either to you or direct to your landlord
  • a private landlord, your Housing Benefit is paid to you. We can pay it into a bank or building society account or send a cheque to your home. You are in charge of paying your rent on time.

Vulnerable tenants

If you or your tenant have difficulty paying your rent on time, you can apply for the Housing Benefit to be paid straight to the landlord. 

Download the local housing allowance application form (PDF- 21.68 KB)

We will ask for evidence that the tenant cannot manage their money. The evidence should be in writing. It can come from anyone who knows about tenant's vulnerability, like their GP, social worker or landlord.

We will work with the tenant in making our decision, and will decide as quickly as possible once the evidence has been provided. We may suspend payments of Housing Benefit until the decision has been made. We will write to the tenant and explain the decision.

If you disagree with the decision

If the tenant or landlord disagrees with our decision they can appeal. Please contact us if you wish to appeal. We will review the decision. This usually takes place after an agreed time.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve edinburgh.gov.uk

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.