Building new roads

Road construction consent

Anyone who needs to build a new road or extending an existing road in Edinburgh requires a Road Construction Consent (RCC) from the Council. Any works on existing roads require separate authorisation.

The Development Control team can offer advice on specification and design standards. The team will also carry out inspections of the new roads during the construction process and prior to adding the new roads onto the list of public roads.

If the RCC is linked with a private housing development then the developer must provide security. This is usually a road or cash bond.

Please note that the issuing of a RCC does not imply that planning permission is granted.

Access serving more than two properties must be built as a road and requires a RCC. All roadside parking places form part of the road.

All roads in a RCC will go on the list of publicly maintained roads. If later a developer decides not to submit the roads, this does not alter their status as roads to which the public have a right of access.

Road construction consent forms and road construction guidance notes are available below.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.