Privately owned trees

Works to Privately Owned Trees

If you would like to do works to a tree, first you should check if the tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or if it is in a Conservation Area.  If the tree is not covered by a TPO or in a Conservation Area you do not require permission from the Council.

Check if a tree is protected

Our interactive map shows details of TPOs and Conservation Areas in the City. By clicking on the information points on the map you will get details of TPOs and Conservation Areas.

If you are using a tablet or smartphone please use the mobile friendly version of the TPO map.


Apply for works to protected trees

TPOs protect individual trees, groups of trees or woodlands. Permission is required to carry out any work on these trees. You can apply to carry out works on trees online. It is an offence to cut down, lop, top, uproot or wilfully damage or destroy a protected tree without permission.

Apply for works to trees in Conservation Areas

Before carrying out any tree work within a Conservation Area, the owner of the tree must give 6 weeks written notice detailing the nature and extent of the proposed work and identifying the trees.  You can notify us online.

Check if tree work has permission

To check if work to trees has permission you can use our online search.

Trees on Council land

For information about trees on Council land please visit trees and woodlands.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.

A to Z of services