Our complaints procedure

How we handle and learn from your complaints

The Council follows the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman's standard complaints handling procedure. If you have a concern, we will do our best to resolve it. We'll also make sure you know what to expect at each stage. Download our full complaints procedure.

You can make a comment, compliment or complaint about any of our services.

Issues that are not complaints

We do not regard the following as complaints

  • a first request for services
  • a Freedom of Information Act or Data Protection Act request
  • a request for information or an explanation of policy or practice.

There are some things we can't deal with under the complaints process. These include

  • insurance claims
  • the merits of planning decisions
  • planning applications that are still being considered
  • complaints that are in court or have been heard by a court or tribunal
  • where a statutory right of appeal exists (e.g. parking tickets or housing benefit)
  • any service where you can use other methods to appeal (e.g. exclusions from school or pupil placements)
  • complaints against Councillors, which have to be made in writing to the Standards Commission(external link)
  • dissatisfaction with decisions by the Council, Council committees or sub-committees. These should be taken up with the appropriate councillor.

How we handle your complaint

Our complaints procedure has two stages

  • frontline resolution
  • investigation.

Frontline resolution 

We will respond to your complaint within five working days. We aim to resolve your concerns within this timescale. If we need more time, we'll let you know.

Not satisfied with our response? You can ask us to review your complaint.


We will appoint a senior Council officer to review your complaint. We will tell you who the Council officer is and respond within 20 working days.

If your complaint is complex, we may be unable to resolve your concerns within this timescale. Instead we'll contact you to agree a different date.

If you are still not satisfied

For all complaints, except those about social work services, you can contact the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO).

How we learn from your complaints

You can make a complaint to us, no matter how big or small you think it is. Your complaints help us to make our services better.

Here are some examples of how we have learned from your complaints

  • reviewed Equalities Policy
  • changed community waste routes 
  • offered welfare advice to mental health service users 
  • reviewed guidelines on the Instrumental Music Service
  • improved refresher training for staff on summary warrants
  • introduced more streamlined process to manage special uplifts
  • introduced social work services support with completing funding applications 
  • amended the process to manage repeat complaints about community waste services.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve edinburgh.gov.uk

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.