Smoke control

Smoke control areas

The whole of Edinburgh is a smoke control area. This means that smoke can't be emitted from the chimney of any building. The smoke control rules don't apply to bonfires.

For advice or to complain about smoke from a chimney please contact us.

See the advice on authorised fuels and exempt appliances on Defra's website.

Some solid fuel stoves, ovens and boilers have been approved for use in smoke control areas. These appliances are exempt from the provisions of the Clean Air Act 1993 if they are installed and used properly.

Otherwise, fuels that you can use for heating homes, buildings and water include gas, electricity and some brands of solid fuel that have been authorised for use in smoke control areas. Fuel that hasn't been authorised can't be delivered in a smoke control area unless the fuel is to be used in an exempt appliance.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.