How to get or replace your NEC

National Entitlement Card


9 December 2016: If you are over 60 and your One Edinburgh Card has no expiry date your card will continue to work after 31 December 2016. If your card expires on 31 December 2016, you will automatically be sent a new card. Important: if you have changed your address since you got your current card, please take proof of your new address with you into your nearest library to make sure your new one is sent to the right address.

About thenational entitlement card

The National Entitlement card is for young people, older people and people with a disability. You can find out if you qualify on the Transport Scotland website. To find out what you will get access to, have a look at our NEC travel discounts page.

How to apply

Go to any of our libraries and fill in the form. You can find out where your library is below. You will need a passport quality photo and proof of who you are, where you live and your entitlement. You can download information about this below.

If you are 60 soon

You should apply for your card at least 14 days before you are 60, so you get it in time, but you will not be able to use it before your 60th birthday.

Lost or stolen cards

If your card is lost or stolen, contact us as below.

Renewing your card

If you have received your card as you are over 60 it will automatically be renewed and a new card sent out to you. If your address has changed, take proof of your new address with you into your nearest library to make sure it is sent to the right place.

If are entitled due to a disability, and your card has expired or is about to, go to your nearest library with proof of your entitlement. You don’t have to fill in another form but if your details have changed, please bring proof of this.

Faulty cards

If the ticket machine can’t read your card, you can ask the bus driver to swap it for a seven day travel pass in the meantime. This will not include any companion element that might normally apply. On trams you will have to pay the full fare till you get a new card.

If all your details are the same, contact us as below. If not, you will need to go to a library with proof of the changes, but you won’t have to fill in another form.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.