Home contents insurance

We can arrange home contents insurance through Allianz Insurance plc specifically for Council tenants.

Prices start from £2.65 a fortnight for tenants aged under 60 for a £12,000 sum insured and from just £1.36 a fortnight for a £9,000 sum insured if you are aged 60 or over.

We encourage all Council tenants to take out insurance to protect your furniture, belongings and decorations against fire, theft, water damage and other risks.

Apply for home contents insurance

Download the application pack (PDF, 197 KB)

To get a free quotation call us on

0131 529 4399

It just takes a few minutes and you can decide later.

If you prefer we can send you an application pack.

Benefits include

  • no excess to pay if you make a claim
  • all postcodes included at no added cost
  • pay fortnightly along with your rent.

There is new for old cover. New for old cover means your things would be replaced as new except for bed linen and clothing. They would be replaced at their current cost less an amount for wear and tear.


By paying extra, you can include

  • full accidental damage cover within the home
  • personal possessions cover - including mobiles - anywhere in the UK
  • wheelchairs and hearing aids
  • garden hut, garage and greenhouse structures.

There's a checklist in the application pack to help you work out how much cover you need.

Keeping up payments

If you miss a payment the insurers may not pay a claim. If you fall behind with your rent, we may cancel your policy.

Terms and conditions apply. You can ask us for a copy of the policy wording.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve edinburgh.gov.uk

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.