Dead animals

What to do if you find a dead animal

The Council can remove dead animals from

  • pavements
  • edge of roads and verges
  • gardens
  • other easily accessible public places.

To report a dead animal please phone us using the contact details below.

If your pet is missing, you can check if we have found it by phoning the number below.

The removal of animals is usually a service provided to deal with road traffic accidents. These are usually

  • cats
  • dogs
  • foxes

but may be extended to other wildlife.

The Council does not provide an uplift or disposal service for deceased domestic pets. This is the responsibility of the pet owner.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.