Litter and street cleaning

Report litter

Use this form to report litter for investigation and removal.

Report litter

Overflowing communal household waste bins

Report a full or overflowing communal bin.

We don’t collect extra rubbish beside household bins or empty overfilled bins when the lid can’t be easily shut. See our extra waste policy for further information.

Overflowing public waste bins

Please report an overflowing public was bin by calling 0131 608 1100 and choosing options 2 then 4 and then 3.  


Dropping litter is an offence in Scotland. Anyone dropping litter could receive a Fixed Penalty Notice of £80. If this is not paid a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.

A Street Litter Control Notice may sometimes be used to ensure the owner of a premises keeps an area around their premises clear of litter.

A Litter Control Area can be declared if private land is badly littered and the public have access (e.g. a shopping centre car park). This means owner or person using the land has a duty to clear the land and keep it free of litter.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.