Recycling and rubbish tips
Community recycling centres
You can recycle and take other household rubbish to our community recycling centres
- Bankhead Avenue, Sighthill, EH11 4EA
- Fillyside Road, Seafield, EH7 6RD
- Old Dalkeith Road, Craigmillar, EH16 4TB
View Community Recycling Centres (CRC) in a larger map
8am to 7.30pm Monday to Friday (last entry for cars is 7.20pm, for vans 7pm)
8am to6pm Saturday and Sunday (last entry for cars is 5.50pm, for vans 5.30pm)
In the event of severe weather conditions the sites may be closed at short notice.
Construction work at Seafield
This site is under heavy construction so please be aware
- there may be delays when entering or exiting the site
- speed is restricted to 5 mph
- heavy machines and vehicles are moving in and around the site
- you should follow any instructions from site staff, for safety at all times.
Thank you for your patience while we carry out this essential work, which should complete in mid February 2017.
- You can only use the site if you are an Edinburgh resident
- Residents can come to any site in cars or with single axle trailers to recycle or dispose of household waste
- Residents using vans and double axle trailers are only allowed in to Sighthill and Seafield and should note that van users should bring the hire documents if you are using a hire van, and proof of address such as a utility bill. If you are using a van with no branding, please bring two proofs of address, for example a utility bill and a driver's licence. Liveried vans are not allowed into any of the sites.
- We no longer accept trade or business waste at any of the sites. You can find out more on the trade waste at community recycling centres web page.
Items that can be recycled or reused
The following items can be recycled
- bricks, rubble, loose soil
- car batteries
- DVDs, CDs, videos and books (in reusable condition, no home videos or copied CDs)
- clothing and shoes including household textiles such as blankets, towels and curtains
- all types of Cooking oil
- energy saving light bulbs
- engine oil
- fridges and freezers
- fluorescent tubes
- garden waste including flowers, plants, garden weeds, grass clippings, hedge trimmings and leaves
- gas bottles
- glass bottles and jars all colours
- household batteries
- hard plastics such as garden furniture
- large electrical equipment including large household appliances
- low grade wood such as chipboard, fencing, formica, hardboards, laminates, MDF, plywood and window frames
- packaging including empty aerosols, aluminium foil, cans, anything cardboard, envelopes, food tins and plastic bottles
- all water based paints
- paper including magazines, newspaper, shredded paper, telephone directories and all other types of white paper
- small electrical equipment such as computers, telephones, irons, hairdryers and other small household appliances
- solid wood including doors, solid furniture and pallets
- tv and computer monitors
- furniture for re-use. Please note sofas and armchairs must have fire labels
Items that can't be recycled should be put in the landfill skips.
Alternative ways to dispose of your waste
Arrange a collection for bulky waste items for up to six items. Before you book your uplift please consider whether the items could be used by someone else.
If you have items such as beds, sofas, tables, chairs and bikes that are in good condition, call the National re-use phone line on
0800 066 5820
or you can donate online. Items will be collected by a local organisation and reused.