Recycling and rubbish tips/dumps
Community Recycling Centres
You can recycle and take other household rubbish to our community recycling centres
- Bankhead Avenue, Sighthill, EH11 4EA
- Fillyside Road, Seafield, EH7 6RD
- Old Dalkeith Road, Craigmillar, EH16 4TB
View Community Recycling Centres (CRC) in a larger map
8am-7.30pm Monday to Friday (last entry for cars is 7.20 pm, for vans 7:00 pm)
8am-6pm Saturday and Sunday (last entry for cars is 5.50 pm, for vans 5:30 pm)
In the event of severe weather conditions the sites may be closed at short notice.
We no longer accept trade or business waste at any of the sites. You can find out more on the trade waste at community recycling centres web page.
Residents and householders
Residents and householders can come to any site in cars or with single axle trailers to recycle or dispose of household waste. If you are a trader or a business you will not be allowed to bring in any kind of waste. Liveried vans are not allowed into any of the sites.
Residents and householders using vans and double axle trailers to visit the sites are only allowed in to Sighthill and Seafield. If you are a trader or a business you will not be allowed to bring in any kind of waste.
You can only use the site if you are an Edinburgh resident. If you are coming to the site in a hire van please bring the hire documents and proof of address such as a utility bill. If you are coming to the site in a van with no branding please bring two proofs of address for example a utility bill and a drivers licence.
Items that can be recycled or reused
The following items can be recycled
- bricks, rubble, loose soil
- car batteries
- DVDs, CDs, videos and books (in reusable condition, no home videos or copied CDs)
- clothing and shoes including household textiles such as blankets, towels and curtains
- all types of Cooking oil
- energy saving light bulbs
- engine oil
- fridges and freezers
- fluorescent tubes
- garden waste including flowers, plants, garden weeds, grass clippings, hedge trimmings and leaves
- gas bottles
- glass bottles and jars all colours
- household batteries
- Hard plastics such as garden furniture.
- large electrical equipment including large household appliances
- low grade wood such as chipboard, fencing, formica, hardboards, laminates, MDF, plywood and window frames
- packaging including empty aerosols, aluminium foil, cans, anything cardboard, envelopes, food tins and plastic bottles
- all water based paints
- paper including magazines, newspaper, shredded paper, telephone directories and all other types of white paper
- small electrical equipment such as computers, telephones, consoles, irons, hairdryers and other small household appliances
- solid wood including doors, solid furniture and pallets
- tv and computer monitors
- furniture for re-use. Please note sofas and armchairs must have fire labels.
- Items that can't be recycled should be put in the landfill skips
Alternative ways to dispose of your waste
Arrange a collection for bulky waste items for up to six items.
You can also call the National reuse phone line on 0800 0665 820 if the item can be reused.