Recycling and rubbish tips
Community recycling centres
You can recycle and take other household rubbish to our community recycling centres
- Bankhead Avenue, Sighthill, EH11 4EA
- Fillyside Road, Seafield, EH7 6RD
- Old Dalkeith Road, Craigmillar, EH16 4TB
View Community Recycling Centres (CRC) in a larger map
8am to 7.30pm Monday to Friday (last entry for cars is 7.20pm, for vans 7pm)
8am to 6pm Saturday and Sunday (last entry for cars is 5.50pm, for vans 5.30pm)
In the event of severe weather conditions the sites may be closed at short notice.
- You can only use the site if you are an Edinburgh resident
- Residents can come to any site in cars or with single axle trailers to recycle or dispose of household waste
- Residents using vans and double axle trailers are only allowed in to Sighthill and Seafield.
- If you are using a hire van, you must bring the hire documents, and 2 forms of identification: a utility bill and a photo driving license, or a passport, or other form of photographic identification with address. Staff have the right to refuse access to anyone who fails to produce any of these documents.
- If you are using a van with no branding, please bring 2 forms of identification: a utility bill and a photo driving license, or a passport, or other form of photographic identification with address. Staff have the right to refuse access to anyone who fails to produce any of these documents.
- Liveried vans are not allowed into any of the sites.
- We no longer accept trade or business waste at any of the sites. You can find out more on the trade waste at community recycling centres web page.
Items that can be recycled or reused
The following items can be recycled
- bricks, rubble, loose soil
- car batteries
- DVDs, CDs, videos and books (in reusable condition, no home videos or copied CDs)
- clothing and shoes including household textiles such as blankets, towels and curtains
- all types of Cooking oil
- energy saving light bulbs
- engine oil
- fridges and freezers
- fluorescent tubes
- garden waste including flowers, plants, garden weeds, grass clippings, hedge trimmings and leaves
- gas bottles
- glass bottles and jars all colours
- household batteries
- hard plastics such as garden furniture
- large electrical equipment including large household appliances
- low grade wood such as chipboard, fencing, formica, hardboards, laminates, MDF, plywood and window frames
- packaging including empty aerosols, aluminium foil, cans, anything cardboard, envelopes, food tins and plastic bottles
- all water based paints
- paper including magazines, newspaper, shredded paper, telephone directories and all other types of white paper
- small electrical equipment such as computers, telephones, irons, hairdryers and other small household appliances
- solid wood including doors, solid furniture and pallets
- tv and computer monitors
Items that can't be recycled should be put in the landfill skips.
Alternative ways to dispose of your waste
Arrange a collection for bulky waste items . Before you book your uplift please consider whether the items could be used by someone else.
If you have items such as
that are in good condition, call the National re-use phone line on
0800 066 5820
or you can donate online. Items will be collected by a local organisation and reused.
For more information about what to do when having a clear out, download our leaflet below.