Free school meals and school clothing grants
Who qualifies for free school meals and school clothing grants
Low income families can get free school meals, milk and a school clothing grant to help towards buying school clothes for their children.
All children in primary 1 to 3 receive free school meals, but not free milk or a clothing grant.
Find out if you match the conditions to claim free school meals on the Scottish Government website.
If you match these conditions you will also qualify for free milk and a clothing grant.
Each award is valid for one school year. The award provides
- each child with one school meal and milk each day they attend school
- a clothing grant payment of £100 for each child.
We pay one clothing grant per year, per child, into your bank account.
Renewing your award
You get an automatic award if you meet all three of these conditions - you
- got an award for the previous school year
- get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, and the children you're applying for are on your claim
- get Income Support, income-based Job Seeker's Allowance or any income-related element of employment and support allowance.
You will not get an automatic award if
- you did not get an award or did not apply for the previous school year
- you do not currently get housing benefit or a reduction on your council tax
- you receive tax credits, universal credit or support under Immigration and Asylum Act
- your child is due to start primary 1 in August 2018, even if you got an award for an older brother or sister
- your child is old enough to leave school
If you did not get an automatic award you need to fill in a new application form each year.
Apply for assistance
Submit the form to the contact details below.
When you contact us it would be helpful if you can give us Housing Benefit or Council Tax reference number.
Other support with school clothing
Edinburgh School Uniform Bank provides new school uniforms for children in families in financial hardship. To get a referral for this contact your
- pupil support worker
- head teacher
- social worker
- education welfare officer
- support worker.