Completion certificates

Apply for a completion certificate

When building work is finished you should apply for a completion certificate via eBuilding Standards

We will acknowledge receipt of your application within 14 days.  Once an inspection has been carried out we will notify you if anything needs to be changed. Once changes have been made a building standards surveyor will inspect the work again.  If the works are satisfactory you will be sent a notice of acceptance of completion certificate.

The building or part of the building which has been erected, extended or altered must not be used unless the above has been followed.

The building warrant document, copies of the approved plans and the notice of acceptance of completion certificate should be kept in a safe place with the title deeds to your property. They are likely to be required if you decide to sell your property.

If you have carried out work without having obtained a building warrant, or for expired warrants please apply for the relevant certificate.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.