Shared repairs and maintenance

Money matters

Repairs and improvements can be costly and owners should have the money in place before and available before work is started. However, work may be vital and owners may want to go ahead with most of the funding in place. In some cases owners may choose to accept the extra cost of a missing share. They can either absorb the cost or go through a debt recovery action to get the outstanding money.

The Council does not offer grants for repairs and maintenance. We can offer advice and information on shared repairs including money matters, by email or phone or in person. You can download our guide to organising and paying for shared repairs, below.

You can also look at our Scheme of Assistance which sets out how we can help.


You or your neighbours should get two or three quotes based on the work you require. Ask for a list of work and detailed, written quotations, not estimates. A quotation is a price that the builder must stick to, unless you agree to more work being carried out. If it is detailed, you can compare like with like. Check if the price includes VAT. 

Insurance cover

In a tenement, owners are responsible for insuring their own property as well as making sure that there is enough cover to reinstate the building if necessary. Reinstatement value is the cost of rebuilding the whole structure not just the market value, which may be a lot less.

You are entitled to ask for proof that your neighbours have adequate insurance. This request must be made in writing. If your neighbours are not willing to show you that they have adequate insurance or do not have insurance you can enforce your rights in the Sheriff Court. You should seek advice from your solicitor about this.

World Heritage grants

If your property is within the Edinburgh World Heritage site, you may be able to receive grants under their Conservation Funding programme.

Make your home warmer

Energy efficient homes save money. Get insulation advice and information from Home Energy Scotland.

Contact Home Energy Scotland

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.