Shared repairs and maintenance

Finding problems

Routine maintenance will ensure that problems are identified and dealt with quickly and cheaply. For this reason, you or your neighbours should have your building inspected at least once a year. For advice on how to do this yourselves, download our guide to checking your building below. 

You can also hire someone like a surveyor or building contractor to carry out checks.

Find out who to contact if your building is unsafe or if it is an emergency.


You may have a factor for your building who will carry out routine inspections and maintenance work. If you have found any problems yourself, you should tell your factor as soon as possible.

If you want to check to see if your building has a factor, you can search by address on the Scottish Property Factors Register website. For more information download our guide to property factors and the Property Factors (Scotland) Act 2011, below.

If you have concerns about a factor, you can find out about the code of conduct and complaints on the Advice Guide website.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.