Shared repairs and maintenance


If you live in a tenement, or upper and lower villa, as well as maintaining your own home, you and your neighbours are responsible for the upkeep of the common or shared areas in or around the building.

Edinburgh Shared Repairs Service 

We offer free advice and information to help you organise repairs to the shared or common areas of their properties.  You can find our contact details at the bottom of this page.

Tenement toolkit

Our tenement toolkit is a step-by-step guide to help you organise your repairs with practical templates and checklists that you can use for your repair project. 

You can download the toolkit or if you would like us to send you a pack, please email us on

Missing Shares

Our Missing Shares Service is there to help flat owners who are having problems getting other owners to pay their share of repair costs to common areas of a tenement or block of flats. Download the Missing Shares Service factsheet and templates.

Emergency repairs

Find out who to contact if your building is unsafe or if it is an emergency.  Please note door entry systems are not treated as an emergency you can download the guidance to find out more.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.