Support for women being abused

Domestic abuse is abuse from a current or previous partner. It doesn't have to mean violence. Your partner may say threatening or hurtful things, or try to control how you behave. You have the right to live free from abuse.

Emergency number 999 

Do not retaliate it's not safe for you or your partner.

Stay safe

You need to think about looking after your physical and mental health. You have choices about what to do if you live with an abusive partner. You can choose to

  • leave home temporarily or permanently
  • talk to a family member, friend or organisation
  • stay, accepting that your partner or ex-partner won't change
  • stay, with the hope that your partner or ex-partner will change
  • take legal action by contacting the police or using the law to protect you. 

Find out about advice on welfare benefits and money matters from our Advice Shop.

You can search for local domestic abuse support services and download the Women's Safety Planning booklet for practical advice below.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.