Private landlords

Legal duties and managing a tenancy

We offer advice to private landlords about what they must do by law and how to resolve problems with tenants.

Before letting a property

There are a number of other legal steps you must follow.

The landlord must be registered with their Council

When marketing your property, your advert must include your landlord registration number and the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating.  This includes online adverts.

Landlords renting to three or more unrelated people must have a House of Multiple Occupation licence before they can let their property. 

Creating a tenancy

You must make sure you comply with the following

If a deposit is paid by the tenant, you must secure it in one of the three Tenancy Deposit schemes.  

We also offer advice to landlords on

  • leases
  • how to manage noise and antisocial behaviour complaints
  • landlord and tenant disputes
  • how to end a tenancy
  • sending a completed Section 11 form to the Council before taking your tenant to court.

Download ending a tenancy pack (PDFs)

Information for landlords can also be found at Renting Scotland.

Keep your knowledge up to date by reading our quarterly magazine Inside Letting.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.