Report a problem with a short term let or party flat

Short term lets and party flats

A short term let is a property which is usually rented for up to 5 days by a small group or family for the purpose of a short break or holiday.

A ‘party flat’ is where a property is usually rented by a number of unrelated persons for the purpose of a stag or hen night or where they are attending a sport or entertainment event.

Report issues with a short term let and party flats

Report a problem with a property that you feel is being used as a short term let / party flat to your local neighbourhood office.

Those issues may include

  • noise
  • antisocial behaviour
  • too many people staying in the property

We will carry out an investigation and where necessary take action to help you resolve the situation.

Rules and policies for short term lets

If a landlord wants to let a property out for 3 or more unrelated persons at any one time, and it will be the tenants' sole or principal residence, the landlord will need to apply for a Houses in Multiple Occupancy (HMO) licence.

Properties rented out for a longer period are required to be registered with Landlord Registration.

Changing the use of a residential property to a short stay commercial leisure apartment (short term let) may require planning permission. Pages 6 and 7 of our Planning Guidance for Businesses sets this out in more detail.  Find out how to report a possible breach in planning control.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.