Report a problem with a short term let or party flat

A short term let is a property that is usually rented for up to five days by a small group or family for the purpose of a short break or holiday.

A party flat is a property that is usually rented by a number of unrelated persons for a stag or hen night or where they are attending a sport or entertainment event.

Report a problem with a property that you feel is being used as a short term let or party flat to your neighbourhood office.

Those issues may include

  • noise
  • antisocial behaviour
  • too many people staying in the property.

We will investigate and take action to help you resolve the situation.

Rules and policies for short term lets

If a landlord wants to let a property out for three or more unrelated persons at any one time, and it will be the tenants' sole or principal residence, the landlord must apply for a Houses in Multiple Occupancy (HMO) licence.

Properties rented out for a longer period must be registered with Landlord Registration.

Changing the use of a residential property to a short stay commercial leisure apartment, a short term let, may require planning permission. Pages 6 and 7 of our Planning Guidance for Businesses sets this out in more detail.  Find out how to report a possible breach in planning control.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.