South Edinburgh primary schools
We are planning a new school in south Edinburgh, to be built on a site at Canaan Lane for August 2020. We held an event to share the latest plans.
We have prepared a note that shows the events and milestones in the construction and transition to the new primary school. It also shows potential accommodation arrangements following the opening of the new school.
The number of children in south Edinburgh's primary schools is higher than it has been for 30 years. Schools are under pressure to find space for all of their pupils. The problem is biggest at South Morningside Primary, where pupils are split across three sites.
We consulted on possible changes for primary schools and catchments in this area from 24 August to 6 October 2015.
Elected members approved most of our recommendations but agreed to replace two of them - about funding and timing - with new wording.
Affected primary schools
- James Gillespie's
- St Peter's RC
- South Morningside
Recommendations from the outcome report
The report recommended that
- a new primary school with nursery classes is established on the Deanbank / Oaklands site
- existing South Morningside nursery classes at Fairmilehead Church are closed
- the catchment boundaries of South Morningside, Bruntsfield, James Gillespie’s and Tollcross Primary Schools are changed as set out in option 1c of the consultation.
These points were proposed in option 1c of the consultation paper.
As Council approved the recommendations then
- the existing nursery classes will close in the year the new school opens
- new catchment areas will take effect for P1 registrations in the November before the new school opens.