Litter and street cleaning

Report litter

Use this form to report litter for removal or to report a problem area for investigation.

Report litter

Overfilled bins

You can also report a full or overflowing communal bin.

We don’t collect extra rubbish beside household bins or empty overfilled bins when the lid can’t be easily shut. See our extra waste policy for further information.


Dropping litter is an offence in Scotland. Anyone dropping litter could receive a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) of £80, if this is not paid a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.

Street litter control notices

Where a litter problem can be clearly traced to certain types of premises, such as take away food premises, we can issue a Street Litter Control Notice. This ensures the owner keeps the front of the premises, plus an agreed distance either side, clear of litter.

Private land and litter control areas

If certain kinds of private land to which the public have access to, such as shopping centre car parks, are badly littered we can declare them a Litter Control Area. The owner or person using the land is then under a duty to clear the land and keep it free of litter.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.