20mph consultation, research and monitoring
We have carried out a public consultation and extensive research on 20mph speed limits including
- Edinburgh People's Survey - 2012
- South Edinburgh pilot project - 2012-13
- public consultation on 20mph limits - 2014
This has shown a high level of public support for the 20mph project.
Research shows that limiting speeds to 20mph in busy streets has numerous benefits including
- reducing deaths and casualties
- encouraging walking and cycling
- making communities more sociable.
We are carrying out 'before and after' surveys to monitor the 20mph network. We will monitor and assess traffic speeds, road casualties and public perceptions throughout the project. The findings will be reported to committee one year after completion of the final phase.
Download consultation documents and visit the links below for details on 20mph speed limits.