20mph consultation, research and monitoring
We have carried out a public consultation and extensive research on 20mph speed limits including
- Edinburgh People's Survey - 2012
- South Edinburgh pilot project - 2012-13
- public consultation on 20mph limits - 2014.
This has shown a high level of public support for the 20mph project.
Research shows that limiting speeds to 20mph in busy streets has numerous benefits including
- reducing deaths and casualties
- encouraging walking and cycling
- making communities more sociable.
We are carrying out before and after surveys to monitor the 20mph network. We are monitoring and assessing traffic speeds, road casualties and public perceptions. The findings will be reported to committee in 2019.