Free school meals and help with schoolwear

Who qualifies for food and clothing grants

We provide children from low income families with free school meals and money to help towards buying school clothes. Young people over the age of 16 staying on at school and living on their own may also apply.

Find out if you match the conditions to claim free school meals on the Scottish Government website.

If you match these conditions you can also claim assistance with schoolwear.

Apply for assistance

Download the application form to apply. Please read the guidance notes to help you complete it. You can also get a paper copy from your school.

Download Free meals and clothing grant application form (PDF, 205.15 KB)

Applications for the 2018-2019 school year will open in June 2018.

Submit your application

Send us the form and supporting evidence by post or by email to

We accept scanned copies of your evidence by email.

The award

Each award is valid for one school year.

The meals award provides a pupil with one free school meal each day they attend school.

Assistance with schoowear is paid directly in to your bank account.

Once we approve your award

We will send you a letter and notify your school of your award.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.