Non-domestic (business) rates and empty properties
If non-domestic (business) properties are unoccupied, with effect from 1 April 2016, the Council can grant 50% relief of rates for a maximum of 3 months. When properties remain empty longer than 3 months, 90% of the property charge is billed.
If a property is unoccupied from 1 April 2016 and is an Industrial Building with no retail element, the Council can grant 100% relief for a maximum of 6 months. When the properties remain empty longer than 6 months a 90% charge is then billed.
Certain categories may be exempt from the 90% property charge. These are listed below
- properties which are listed buildings or have a preservation order
- properties with a rateable value of less than £1,700
- properties where the person entitled to possession is a trust for sequestration, liquidation or executors
- industrial properties, with no retail element
- properties prohibited by law from occupation
- properties which are under compulsory purchase.
Unless you have already notified us that your property is unoccupied we cannot give an exemption. To notify us please complete the Empty Property relief application form below.
If you are applying for Empty Property exemption please complete the Empty Property exemption form below.