Extra bedrooms

Under occupancy

From 1 April 2013, the Government has introduced size limit rules for Housing Benefit for working age people renting from the Council, a registered housing association or other registered social landlord.

The new rules will restrict the size of accommodation you can receive Housing Benefit for, based on the number of people in your household.

You can calculate how many bedrooms you are eligible for on the Directgov website.

Will I be affected? 

If you are under occupying, there will be a reduction in your Housing Benefit. The amount allowed for rent and any service charges will be reduced by

  • 14% for under occupancy by 1 bedroom
  • 25% for under occupancy by 2 bedrooms or more. 

Help to cover the reduction

You may be able to get a Discretionary Housing Payment to make up all or some of the reduction. 

We can only award the payment if you already get Housing Benefit, or Universal Credit which covers housing costs. If you have questions or need support, please contact us.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve edinburgh.gov.uk

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.