Food and clothing bank

Food, clothing and funeral support

When you apply for a community care or crisis grant from the Scottish Welfare Fund, we will also offer you emergency food and clothing support. Some food and clothing banks can give you support even if you don't have a referral. However, because you can only use them in an emergency for a short time, we want to help you find other support to meet your needs. 

Download the food bank referral process (PDF, 388KB)

Download clothing information leaflet (PDF, 546.74 KB)

Fareshare is a national UK network redistributing surplus food from producers and suppliers to not-for-profit organisations that work with vulnerable people (such as homeless hostels, community groups and childrens breakfast clubs). These organisations make significant savings on their food bills, while helping avoid excessive food waste

Funeral Support Payment

You could get Funeral Support Payment if you receive certain benefits and need help to pay for a funeral you're arranging. You or your partner must receive or have applied for one or more of the following benefits

  • income support 
  • income-based jobseekers allowance 
  • income-related employment and support allowance
  • pension credit 
  • housing benefit 
  • the disability or severe disability element of working tax credit, child tax credit or universal credit.  

Claim Funeral Support Payment online or by phone. Call Social Security Scotland on 0800 182 2222


For guidance contact any of your Citizens Advice Edinburgh offices.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.