Claim a Council Tax reduction

Claim a Council Tax reduction if you

  • have savings of less than £16,000
  • are responsible for paying the Council Tax bill
  • have a low income from benefits or work, including self employment.

However you may still get a Council Tax reduction if your savings are more than £16,000 and you or your partner get the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit.

You can apply for a reduction at the same time as you claim for housing benefit.

Claim a Council Tax reduction

The Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS) replaced Council Tax Benefit in 2013. 

Making our decision

We will include the income and savings of your partner when we process your claim. We may also take into account the income of any non dependants living with you.

If you are entitled to a Council Tax reduction, we will apply it to your Council Tax account.  This will usually be from the Monday after we receive your claim.  We will send you a new demand notice showing how much to pay.

You only need to claim a Council Tax reduction once. After that we will contact you to check your information. We also check the details we hold for you against information held by the Department for Work and Pensions and employers.

You should also tell us if your circumstances change.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.