Garden waste collections
- We are introducing an annual £25 fee to collect brown garden waste bins. The new service will run fortnightly throughout the year, instead of once every three weeks.
- We will write to residents in the summer to let them know when registration for the new service is open and when the free service is stopping.
Why we're charging for garden waste collections
- Our costs are increasing and more people are using our services, whilst our income is reducing. The £25 per year charge was agreed by the Council at a meeting in February and it is estimated it will save £1.3 million each year and allow us to provide a more frequent service.
- The collection of garden waste is not paid for by Council Tax as it’s not a statutory service. When the service was introduced in 2004 the Scottish Government funded it. This funding has been withdrawn and with reducing budgets and increasing costs we can no longer afford to provide the service for free.
- Over 40% of Councils in the UK charge for a garden waste collection and some have stopped the service altogether.
- The £25 charge is lower than many other Councils and works out at less than 50p per week.
Does everyone need to pay?
- If you receive Council Tax Reduction (formerly called Council Tax Benefit) the service will continue to be free, however you will still need to register to receive the service. We will write to residents to let them know when registration is open. If you receive single occupancy Council Tax discount you will not qualify for this reduction. Find out who qualifies for the discount.
- You do not need to sign up for this service. However, if you choose not to sign up you will stop receiving garden waste collections when the free service stops. We will write to residents in the summer to let them know when this is happening.
How will the service work?
- We will empty your brown bin once every two weeks all year round. Now we collect once every three weeks.
- You will need to renew your permit online every year before it expires to continue receiving the service.
- Once you have signed up and we have received your payment we will send you a new collection calendar and a permit sticker to put on your bin.
- We will only empty brown bins with valid permit stickers.
- There is no limit to how many garden waste bins you can have but there will be an annual charge of £25 per bin.
- If your garden waste bin is damaged or missing you will need to order a new bin.
- If you want to share a bin with your neighbours you will need to agree on one resident acting as the lead for booking and paying for the service.
What should i do with my garden waste if i don't sign up?
How do i recycle garden waste?