School placing requests

Apply for a place outside of your catchment area

You can ask us for a place in a school outside of your catchment area by completing the form below. This is called a placing request.

A placing request will only be granted after places have been given to children living in the catchment area. 

Read Choosing a School: A Guide for Parents from the Scottish Government.

Placing requests in P1 or S1

If your child is due to start P1 or S1 at a mainstream school in August 2018 you can make a placing request. Applications opened on 6 November 2017.

Before you make a placing request please read the Placing in Schools guide - section four covers placing requests, including details on how we allocate places.

Other placing requests

Find out how to make a placing request in other year groups.

Read about our specialist schools to find out how to apply for specialist dance, music and football education.

You have the right to make a placing request for special schools and classes. Please read In on the Act for details. Chapter four covers placing requests.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.