The new Local Transport Strategy
The draft new Local Transport Strategy for 2014 - 2019 (LTS) was approved by the Transport and Environment Committee at the end of August, and is being circulated for comment until 13 October 2013. The new LTS is due to be finalised in January 2014.
Key new initiatives include:
- moving forward with improvements to the City Centre;
- a major extension of 20mph speed limit areas;
- developing proposals to extend parking controls on Sundays;
- piloting an approach to close streets in the immediate neighbourhood around schools for short periods at school start and finish times;
- consulting on options to reduce air pollution from traffic; and
- developing a new travel planning service to work with Edinburgh's employers.
The policies and the objectives in the new LTS have been subject to a Strategic Environmental Assessment by an independent consultant. A report is available to view on request at Waverley Court, or can be downloaded:
Anyone wishing to comment on either the draft new Local Transpor Strategy or the Strategic Environmental Assessment report may email their comments to firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to:Transport Policy and Planning,
C2, Waverley Court,
The City of Edinburgh Council,
Issues for Review
The 'Issues for Review' Report was the first stage in the preparation of the LTS. Its purpose was to seek views on ten issues where change is needed, or the Council faces a choice in future direction. These included
- Integrated Transport
- Supported Bus Services
- Speed limits
- School Streets
- Air Quality
- Travel Planning
The outcomes from the Local Transport Strategy Issues for Review consultation, together with initial officer recommendations on each issue for discussion at the Council’s Transport Forum on 21 June 2013, is available to download. The full Issues for Review Consulation Report is also available to download.