Single occupancy discount

You may be able to get a 25% discount on your Council Tax bill if you are the only adult living in a property. An adult is a person aged 18 or over.

To qualify for a discount you must already have registered with us to let us know that you live in Edinburgh.

 Apply for a single occupancy discount

Not registered with Council

Tell us that you have moved into or within Edinburgh, to register and apply for the discount at the same time. 

Tell us you are moving into or within Edinburgh

This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.

Single occupancy discount review

Annually, the Council undertakes a review to ensure residents who claim a single occupancy discount on their Council Tax continue to have a genuine entitlement to it.

The City of Edinburgh Council in partnership with Northgate Public Services are undertaking an evidence based single occupancy discount review.  This uses a combination of information held by the Council, third party data sources and specialist validation services. This will help to

  • remove ineligible claims
  • ensure that those who are entitled to the discount continue to receive it
  • keep Council Tax as low as possible for all Council Tax payers and help to protect services in a difficult financial climate.

If you have received a review form, please return this promptly to secure your discount. Alternatively reply easily online by following the instructions on Single Person Discount Review online service

Frequently asked questions are available for help.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.