Money for staying on at school

Get your Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

You could get a weekly allowance of £30 per week if you attend a school or you are on an activity agreement in the City of Edinburgh Council area.

Find out if you match the conditions for an EMA on the EMA Scotland website.  

If you are eligible, you can apply with us.

College students should contact their college to apply if they are eligible for an EMA.

Download the education maintenance allowance privacy notice (PDF, 39 KB)


Download EMA application forms (PDFs)

Read the guidance notes first as these will help you complete the form correctly.

Post or email the form to

Send us supporting evidence by email or post. If sending by email, you can scan documents or take clear pictures with a smartphone.

When you contact us it would be helpful if you have your Housing Benefit or Council Tax reference number.

Payment dates

Download EMA payment schedules (PDFs)

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.