Short breaks for people with a physical disability

Short breaks and respite

If you live with your family or carer you may be able to get support from a short breaks service. This used to be called respite. If you would like to have a short break, a social worker will need to visit you to assess your needs. You can contact Social Care Direct for an assessment.

You could

  • have a short break in a care home
  • get support from Break Away to arrange a short break in the community
  • arrange your own short break with a Direct Payment.

Short breaks in a care home

Your Social Care worker can help you to arrange a break in a care home.

Break Away

Break Away will help you

  • find the right break for you and help you plan
  • find staff to support you to have a break
  • make bookings and payments
  • manage your Short Breaks budget.

Contact Social Care Direct to access this service.



Direct Payment

If you have a Direct Payment, below you can search for providers who have staff who could support you to have a break. Shared Care Scotland's Short Break Search gives you information about short break possibilities.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.