Short breaks for people with learning disabilities
Short breaks and respite
If you live with your family or carer you may be able to get support from a short breaks service. This used to be called respite.
- have a short break in a care home
- get support to arrange a short break in the community
- arrange your own short break with a Direct Payment.
Short breaks in a care home
You can stay for a few days during the week or at the weekend. You can still get your day support during your stay. There are four care homes that offer short breaks
- South Gyle
- The Beeches.
Community short breaks
This could be
- a weekend away with friends
- sharing a flat in Edinburgh for the weekend
- monthly social outings
- activity breaks.
Our Break Away service will help you
- find the right break for you and help you plan
- find staff to support you to have a break
- make bookings and payments
- manage your short breaks budget.
If you have a Direct Payment, below you can search for providers who have staff who could support you to have a break.
Shared Care Scotland's Short Break Search gives you information about short break possibilities.
If you would like to have a short break, a social worker will need to visit you to assess your needs. Contact Social Care Direct and ask for an assessment.