Short breaks for people with learning disabilities

Short breaks and respite

If you live with your family or carer you may be able to get support from a short breaks service. This used to be called respite.

You could

  • have a short break in a care home
  • get support to arrange a short break in the community
  • arrange your own short break with a Direct Payment.

Short breaks in a care home

You can stay for a few days during the week or at the weekend. You can still get your day support during your stay. There are four care homes that offer short breaks

  • South Gyle
  • Firrhill
  • The Beeches.

Community short breaks

This could be

  • a weekend away with friends
  • sharing a flat in Edinburgh for the weekend
  • monthly social outings
  • activity breaks.

Our Break Away service will help you

  • find the right break for you and help you plan
  • find staff to support you to have a break
  • make bookings and payments
  • manage your short breaks budget.

Direct Payment

If you have a Direct Payment, below you can search for providers who have staff who could support you to have a break.

Shared Care Scotland's Short Break Search gives you information about short break possibilities.

If you would like to have a short break, a social worker will need to visit you to assess your needs. Contact Social Care Direct and ask for an assessment.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.