Paying your home care bills

Making payments

Bills are issued every four weeks, and are two - three weeks in arrears. You can pay your bill online.

If you think your bill is wrong you should contact your local social work office. The contact number is on the bill.

If you have difficulty paying you should write to your social work office giving reasons and request your charge be looked at.

If you do not pay the bill, legal action will be taken to claim back any money you owe.

If you cannot manage your finances

There are several options if you need a person to act on your behalf to help you pay for your care.  It's important that these options are put in place as soon as possible to prevent debt building up.

You can

  • appoint a power of attorney to manage your money for you
  • have a person apply for access to funds through the Office of the Public Guardian, if you have savings or income such as a private pension
  • have a person apply to become an appointee , through the Department of Work and Pensions, under the Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act.  Benefits can be paid into an account of their choice and they will become responsible for paying the bills.

Someone acting on your behalf can also apply to the Office of Public Guardian for a Guardianship order which allows a person to take action or make decisions on behalf of an adult without capacity.

We have the right to cancel any appointees and access to funds options if it can be shown that the monies are not being used to pay care home fees.

We can apply to become appointee or apply for access to funds if you cannot find anyone willing to manage your finances. Savings, income and benefits can be paid to us on your behalf.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.