Recovery from alcohol and drug problems

Help with alcohol or drug misuse

If you or someone you know has a drug or alcohol problem and needs professional help, then we have services which can help. Each person’s journey to recovery is unique.

Young people

The Adolescent Substance Use Service (ASUS) gives support to young people, up to age 19, who have problems with taking drugs or drinking alcohol. 

0131 537 8300

The Recovery Hubs and  Referral Teams below offer services for people aged 16 or over.

Recovery Hubs

You can get lots of different kinds of support. The Recovery Hubs are a good place to start looking and finding out what will work best for you. The Hubs can provide a gateway to a range of services including

  • treatment
  • peer support
  • mutual aid
  • recovery communities.

You can access the Hubs if you are aged 16 or over. They will find out what your needs are and arrange a service for you.

Most of the time, the Hubs are open Monday to Friday from 10am-4pm. Find your nearest Recovery Hub and its opening times. You don't need to make an appointment, you can just drop in. At other times, you should contact out of hours service if you need help.

Alcohol and Drug Referral Teams

We can help you to access the right services which can support you to recover within the community. We have community social work services for drug problems and for alcohol problems. These are called the Drug Referral Team (DRT) and the Alcohol Referral Team (ART). Your GP or any worker involved in your care can refer you to the teams or you can contact Social Care Direct.

These services can assess anyone over the age of 16 who has an alcohol or drug problem. You can get help with your drinking or drug use, as well as other problems you may have in your life.

If you are thinking about going into rehab, you can be referred to the Residential Rehabilitation Referral Team (3RT).

You may be concerned about someone at risk of harm. You can find out how to keep them safe.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.