Cemeteries and burials in Edinburgh
We are responsible for managing 39 cemeteries and churchyards, including a number of Edinburgh's historic burial grounds, such as
- Old and New Calton.
- Park carefully on the tarmac road, leaving room for vehicles to pass without having to drive on the grass. The majority of the grassed areas within our cemeteries are graves. It is very upsetting for the families to see tyre marks where cars have been parked on or driven across graves.
- Leave access for the hearse when you are attending a funeral at the grave side.
Thank you for your co-operation in this matter.
Arrange a burial
When arranging a full coffin burial, it is likely that you will appoint a funeral director to carry out your wishes. Burial can take place within a new grave or in a family plot if the grave is deep enough.
Even when a grave has no further depth for full coffin burial, up to six caskets of ashes can be buried. Ashes should not be scattered on a grave.
Arrange a burial of ashes within our cemeteries either with Mortonhall Crematorium or with a funeral director.
Cemeteries where new graves are available
- Corstorphine Hill - full burial and cremated remains plots
- Craigmillar Castle Park - full burial plots, Catholic burial plots, Muslim burial plots, baby graves, cremated remains plots and green burial plots
- Currie - full burial and cremated remains plots
- Grange - cremated remains plots only
- Kirkliston - full burial plots only
- Liberton - cremated remains plots only
- Morningside - full burial and cremated remain plots
- Portobello - full burial and cremated remain plots
- Ratho - full burial plots only
- Rosebank - full burial plots only
- Saughton - full burial and cremated remains plots
- South Queensferry - full burial plots only