Cemeteries and burials in Edinburgh
We are responsible for managing 39 cemeteries and churchyards, including a number of Edinburgh's historic burial grounds, such as
- Old and New Calton
When parking within any of our cemetery grounds, please park carefully on the tarmac road, leaving room for vehicles to pass without having to drive on the grass.
Majority of the grassed areas within our cemeteries are graves where people have been buried. It is very upsetting for the families who are visiting the graves to see tyre marks where cars have either been parked on or been driven across.
If you are attending a funeral at the grave side, please remember to leave access for the hearse.
Thank you for your co-operation in this matter.
Arrange a burial
When arranging a full coffin burial, it is most likely that you will appoint a funeral director to carry out your wishes. Burial can take place within a new grave or in an existing family plot, provided that there is enough depth within the grave.
Even when a grave has no further depth for full coffin burial, up to six caskets of ashes can also be buried. Ashes should not be scattered on a grave. You can arrange a burial of ashes within our cemeteries either with Mortonhall Crematorium or via a funeral director.
Cemeteries where new graves are available
- Corstorphine Hill - full burial and ashes plots
- Craigmillar Castle Park - full burial, Catholic burial, Muslim burial, baby graves, ashes plots and green burial
- Currie - full burial and ashes plots
- Grange - ashes plots
- Kirkliston - full burial only
- Liberton - cremated remains plots
- Morningside - full burial and ashes plots
- Mortonhall - ashes plots
- Portobello - full burial and ashes plots
- Ratho - full burial only
- Rosebank - full burial only
- Saughton - full burial only
- South Queensferry - full burial only