Cemeteries and burials in Edinburgh
We are responsible for managing 39 cemeteries and churchyards, including a number of Edinburgh's historic burial grounds, such as Old and New Calton, Canongate and Greyfriars.
Arrange a burial
When arranging a full coffin burial, it is most likely that you will appoint a funeral director to carry out your wishes. Burial can take place within a new grave or in an existing family plot, provided that there is enough depth within the grave.
Even when a grave has no further depth for full coffin burial, up to six caskets of ashes can also be buried. Ashes should not be scattered on a grave. You can arrange a burial of ashes within our cemeteries either with Mortonhall Crematorium or via a funeral director.
Cemeteries where new graves are available
- Corstorphine Hill - full burial, ashes plots and woodland burial
- Craigmillar Castle Park - full burial, Muslim burial, baby graves and ashes plots
- Currie - full burial and ashes plots
- Grange - ashes plots
- Kirkliston - full burial only
- Liberton - cremated remains plots
- Morningside - full burial and ashes plots
- Mortonhall - ashes plots
- Portobello - full burial, Muslim burial and ashes plots
- Ratho - full burial only
- Rosebank - full burial only
- Saughton - full burial only
- South Queensferry - full burial only.