We want to make services we deliver on the internet easy, and our content richer and relevant. This sometimes involves placing cookies on your computer or mobile device.
Cookies are simple pieces of data stored on your hard drive. They are safe as they cannot be used to disseminate viruses and they can't be executed as code.
Cookies we use cannot be used to identify you personally as no personal information such as telephone numbers or email addresses are stored within these cookies.
Cookies used on our website
We will save the following cookies on your computer.
- TestCookie - used to determine whether a user's browser accepts cookie.
- PHPSESSID - used to store the session id of a user. This is required to determine whether a user is logged in to our website. Session data is also stored when a user is filling in a form, however the data is stored on the server and not in the cookie.
These cookies are set to expire as soon as a user quits their browser.
Both of these cookies are required for our site to operate and do not contain personal data. We therefore consider these cookies necessary in order to provide a service to the user.
Operational cookies for logging in
The following session cookies
are only used for users that authenticate (log in) to edinburgh.gov.uk and
are automatically destroyed when the browser is closed
- edi_sms - used for presentation purposes only to indicate that a user has logged on
- AMWEBJCT!%2FCAS!FIM_IVTAPP_TARGET - used to maintain state during authentication
- AMWEBJCT!%2Fsps!JSESSIONID - used to maintain state during authentication
- AMWEBJCT!%2FCAS!JSESSIONID - used to maintain state during authentication
- AMWEBJCT!%2FCAS!https%3A%2F%2Fauth.edinburgh.gov.uk%2Fsps%2FCAS%2Fsaml20FIMSAML20 - used to maintain state during authentication
- IV_JCT - used to maintain state during authentication
The following cookie is set to expire after 1 hour
- edi_redirect - preserves the original requested url during authentication with MyAccount Scotland
We use Google Analytics to collect statistical data about our visitors. We collect this information in a way that does not identify you and the data is not shared with anybody else.
- __utma Keeps track of the number of times a visitor has been to the site pertaining to the cookie, when their first visit was, and when their last visit occurred
- __utmb Records moment in time when a visitor enters a site and expires at the end of the session
- __utmc Records moment in time when a visitor leaves a site and expires after 30 minutes
- __utmz Keeps track of where the visitor came from, what search engine was used, what link was clicked on and what keyword was used.
Third party cookies
Our site has a number of pages with embedded videos or other content from a third party. Cookies placed on your computer or mobile device from a third party are not related to edinburgh.gov.uk.
The Council does not control how a third party uses their cookies. Please check third party websites' privacy policies:
You could also delete cookies from your device and change cookies setting in your chosen browser: How to delete cookies.