We want to make services we deliver on the internet easy, and our content richer and relevant. This sometimes involves placing cookies on your computer or mobile device.
Cookies are simple pieces of data stored on your hard drive. They are safe as they cannot be used to spread viruses. Cookies we use cannot be used to identify you personally as no personal information such as telephone numbers or email addresses is in these cookies.
Cookies used on our website
We save the following cookies on your computer.
• TestCookie - used to determine whether a user's browser accepts cookie.
• PHPSESSID - used to store the session id of a user. This determines whether a user is logged in to our website. Session data is also stored when a user is filling in a form, but the data is stored on the server and not in the cookie.
These cookies are set to expire as soon as a user quits their browser.
Both of these cookies are necessary for our site to operate and do not contain personal data. We consider these cookies necessary to provide a service to the user.
Operational cookies for logging in
The following session cookies are only used for users that authenticate (log in) to edinburgh.gov.uk and are automatically destroyed when the browser is closed.
• edi_sms - used for presentation purposes only to tell that a user has logged on
• AMWEBJCT!%2FCAS!FIM_IVTAPP_TARGET - used to maintain state during authentication
• AMWEBJCT!%2Fsps!JSESSIONID - used to maintain state during authentication
• AMWEBJCT!%2FCAS!JSESSIONID - used to maintain state during authentication
AMWEBJCT!%2FCAS!https%3A%2F%2Fauth.edinburgh.gov.uk%2Fsps%2FCAS%2Fsaml20FIMSAML20 - used to maintain state during authentication
• AMWEBJCT!%2FCAS!https%3A%2F%2Fauth.edinburgh.gov.uk%2Fsps%2FCAS%2Fsaml20FIMSAML20 - used to maintain state during authentication
• IV_JCT - used to maintain state during authentication
The following cookie is set to expire after 1 hour
• edi_redirect - preserves the original requested url during authentication with MyGovScot myaccount.
Usage and analytics cookies
We use Google Analytics to collect statistical data about our visitors. We collect this information in a way that does not identify you and the data is not shared with anybody else.
• __utma Keeps track of the number of times a visitor has been to the site related to the cookie, when their first visit was, and when their last visit occurred
• __utmb Records moment in time when a visitor enters a site and expires at the end of the session
• __utmc Records moment in time when a visitor leaves a site and expires after 30 minutes
• __utmz Keeps track of where the visitor came from, what search engine was used, what link was clicked on and what keyword was used.
Third party cookies
The Council website contains two types of third-party cookies:
• Embedded content and social media
• Behavioural advertising
Cookies placed on your computer or mobile device from a third party are not related to edinburgh.gov.uk. The Council does not control how a third party uses their cookies. Please check third party websites' privacy policies.
Embedded content and social media cookies
Our site has a number of pages with embedded videos or other content that utilise cookies from a third party to enable this.
You could also delete cookies from your device and change cookies setting in your chosen browser: How to delete cookies.
Behavioural advertising cookies
We and our advertising partners aim to follow industry best practice in the way we manage advertising campaigns.
• Advertising partners
Below are a list of individual advertising partners we currently use, if you would like to opt-out of these cookies, please use the links below to access their opt-out information.
id DoubleClick tags let us measure the effectiveness of online marketing campaigns and offer interest based advertising to you when you are visiting other websites. The DoubleClick cookie information will not be used in conjunction with any personal information you might share with other Google services unless you have opted-in and provided consent.
Opt out of advertising cookie tracking, using the Google Advertising Cookie opt-out plugin.
Manage your Google personal display ad, preferences and settings.