Representing local people
Ways to get involved
- become a Community Council member
- attend your Community Council's regular public meetings
- email your local Community Council or visit Community Council website, developed by Improvement Service, as part of the Scottish Government's work, in collaboration with COSLA, to enhance the role of Community Councils.
Find out your Community Council corresponds by using the City of Edinburgh Council Atlas.
Community Council Scheme review
The review is currently underway. The Scheme covers the rules and regulations governing community councils including election procedures, meeting arrangements, membership, and conduct.
The following steps have been taken in advance of the statutory consultation process to inform the draft proposals published for consultation:
- questionnaire to all Community Councils elected members and key stakeholders,
- joint meeting of Community Councils
- discussions with key local authority officers
- Integrated Impact Assessment, and
- Data Protection Impact Assessment.
Community Councillors and members of public can view proposals and comment on the Council's Consultation Hub from 11 February to 22 April or in writing to the address below.
Proposals aim to improve and update the terms and provisions of the Scheme. This will include the introduction of a complaints procedure for dealing with breaches of the Community Councillor’s Code of Conduct.
Your views are welcome on the draft Scheme and Complaints Procedure, including elements that have not been amended. These will be used to help shape the final documents to be submitted to the City of Edinburgh Council for approval on 2 May 2019. If proposals are significantly revised at this stage then a second period of consultation may be required.
Drop-in sessions for those with questions will take place on the following:
- 21 February 2019, 1 – 2 pm, Drumbrae Library Hub, 81 Drum Brae Drive.
- 21 February 2019, 3 – 4 pm, Wester Hailes, 1 Westside Plaza.
- 28 February 2019, 2- 3 pm, South East Office, 40- Captain’s Road.
- 28 February 2019, 4 – 5 pm, East Office, 101 Niddrie Mains Road.
- 6 March 2019, 5.30 – 6.30pm, City Chambers, High Street.