Housing Benefit

Who can claim

You can claim Housing Benefit if you

  • have savings of less than £16,000
  • are moving from benefits into work
  • have a low income, from benefits or work including self employment.

You cannot not usually claim Housing Benefit if you are claiming Universal Credit. Find more information about who is eligible on the UK Government website.

You may still get Housing Benefit if your savings are more than £16,000 but you or your partner gets the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve edinburgh.gov.uk

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.