As we approach the end of 2022, we look back at some of this year's highlights for the Trams to Newhaven project.
Newhaven to Melrose Drive
• Last track cross over installed
• Completion of welfare building
• Melrose Drive substation energised
Ocean Terminal to Rennie’s Isle
• Completion of works on Victoria Bridge
Rennie’s Isle to Tower Place
• In July SFN completed the largest concrete pour to date on the project, which was on the deck of Tower Bridge. This was a dual pour of 82 metres, with two concrete pumps which equates to 164 linear metres of single-track slab having been. Read more about this concrete pour milestone.
• In October SFN exceeded this with a concrete pour totalling 170m, this is the longest track pour the project undertook and meant that there was track installed from Picardy Place to Newhaven.
Constitution place to Baltic Street
• For Robert Burns day in January, Leith’s iconic Burns statue was returned to its home on Bernard Street. Read more about the unveiling of the restored Robert Burns statue.
• In February the Leith Dock pillars were reinstated
• In July-two way running traffic was introduced between London Road and Pilrig Street. Read more about the reopening of this key section of the route.
• The new substation at the bottom of Leith Walk was energised.
London Road to Picardy
• In February the decommissioning and removal of the temporary tram stop at York Place began. This enabled the track to be extended along to Picardy Place where the new tram stop has been constructed.
• The historic London Road clock returned home after 15 years in storage following its full restoration. Read more about the reinstatement of the London Road clock.
The Trams to Newhaven project remains on schedule to be operational by Spring 2023.
Christmas Shutdown Plan
The project will shut down from 5pm on 23 December 2022 and return on Monday 9 January 2023 to review all safety measures ahead of recommencing main construction activities on Wednesday 11 January 2022. However, system infrastructure works will commence from Wednesday 4 January 2022.
We would like to thank businesses and residents across the route for their continued patience during the construction of the Trams to Newhaven Project.
Have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!