Work on building the tram route through Leith Walk began Summer 2020. See estimated timelines of when work will be finished in this area.
Leith Walk is seperated into smaller sections of work. These are:
- London Road to Annandale Street
- Annandale Street to McDonald Road
- McDonald Road to Pilrig Street
- Pilrig Street to Dalmeny Street
- Dalmeny Street to Balfour Street
- Balfour Street to Jane Street
- Jane Street to Crown Street
- Crown Street to Foot of the Walk
A bi-directional cycle lane on the west side of Leith Walk was provided during the construction work as agreed with the Traffic Management Review Panel (TMRP) and Edinburgh Active Travel Forum. This cycle lane has now closed in order to construct the segregated cycleway that is part of the final design for the project.
Logistics hubs to support Leith Walk businesses have been set up on:
- Montogomery Street
- Albert Street
- Dalmeny Street
- Foot of the Walk
These are in place help with deliveries and dispatches. Help will also be at hand at these logistics hubs for residents expecting large deliveries such as appliances or furniture.
This one-way system is designed to maintain local access for residents during construction. This is a temporary measure and the road will return to its current layout as soon as the works are finished.
During main construction works there will be no stopping or waiting at any time within the city bound running lane. We have created temporary waiting areas spaces within the construction site on Leith Walk for customers to use for up to an hour at a time, these are clearly signposted and will move as works progress. The project will assess the traffic management arrangements throughout the construction period and make changes if required.
- You can view the Leith Walk traffic management plans during construction and also read a description of traffic management for London Road to Crown Street.