Hire rooms, pools and sports facilities
You can hire a range of facilities in our schools including
- swimming pools
- games and sports halls
- sports pitches.
Give at least two weeks’ notice.
To hire sports facilities during community times, that is,
- after 6pm during the week
- school holidays
book through Edinburgh Leisure
To hire sports facilities during school times follow the process for hiring rooms.
Send a completed application form to the school.
There are three rates of pay for letting facilities in secondary schools
You pay the commercial rate if you
- operate as a business
- generate income to pay staff salaries
- must be licensed to deliver your activity
- operate under a company name across a wide geographical area, such as city or region
- are from outwith the City of Edinburgh Council area.
If you challenge paying this rate, you must provide evidence as to why not.
You must prove that you are entitled to the concessionary rate before you start your let.
You pay the concessionary rate if you are not a commercial organisation and 80% or more of your the users either
- under 18
- over 60 and not in full-time employment
- full-time students
or are in receipt of benefits, such as
- Council tax reduction Scheme
- Employment Support Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- Incapacity Benefit
- income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income Support
- NASS (National Asylum Support Service) Support
- Pension Credit
- Universal Credit
- Working Tax Credit
You are also entitled to concessionary rates if you are a
- non-profit making community group, such as a tenants’ or residents’ group, local heritage society or community trust
- non-profit making cultural group
- community group or organisation that works with the Council to deliver council or national priorities.
You pay the standard rate if you none of the above applies to you.
For special events, such as conferences, seminars or tournaments, you pay the standard rate for each school facility used.
Use of kitchens is not included in any let. To use a kitchen you must
- give details of this in your application, including the times of use
- pay for a member of catering staff to be present while the kitchen is in use.
Any group that uses a kitchen without permission will be in breach of the conditions of their let. We may cancel their let.
You can access drinking water outside of kitchens in all schools.