Work on building the tram route through Constitution Street began Autumn 2019. See estimated timelines of when work will be finished in this area.
Constitution Street is separated into smaller sections of work. These are:
- Foot of the Walk to Coatfield Lane
- Coatfield Lane to Queen Charlotte Street
- Queen Charlotte Street to Baltic Street
- Baltic Street to Tower Street
Constitution Street fully opened to vehicles from Coatfiled Lane to Ocean Drive/Tower Place on 12 November.
Foot of the Walk to Coatfield Lane
Trackwork is complete within this section. Works on the South Leith Parish Church (SLPC) wall are ongoing with scaffolding erected. All of the OLE poles have now been installed on top of the wall. Constitution Street remains closed to all vehicles from Laurie Street to the SLPC entrance. Entrance to SLPC and properties will be maintained.
Coatfield Lane to Queen Charlotte Street
The full Queen Charlotte Street is open until the entrance to South Leith Parish Church. Parking enforcement is now in operation in this section.
Queen Charlotte Street to Baltic Street
Vehicles can now access this section, travelling in both directions. Tram stop fit-out works continue. Parking enforcement is now in operation in this section.
Attenuation pipe works are finished on Bernard Street. Hard landscaping works will take place in 2023.
Baltic Street to Tower Street
Main construction works and the majority of landscaping works are complete and this section is open to traffic.
Attenuation pipe works at Tower Street are complete. The reinstatement of cobbles restarted from w/c 5 December. Please note that the traffic management at Tower Street will change from Monday 30 January for approximately ten days to finish the last section. Pedestrian access and residential parking will be maintained. View the traffic management plans as of 30 January.
Surfacing works at the entrance to the Tower Street Industrial Estate have been completed and further surfacing works are expected to take place at the Tower Street junction during February 2023.
- Constitution Street is open to vehicles from Coatfield Lane until Ocean Drive/Tower Place. Temporary traffic management is in place at the entrance of Queen Charlotte up to the entrance of South Leith Parish Church while footway works are ongoing.
- The section between South Leith Parish Church and Foot of the Walk remains closed.
- The Tower / Constitution Street junction remains closed to vehicles while the reinstatement of cobbles is ongoing.
- Please note the Ocean Drive/Stevedore Place section offers no through route to Ocean Terminal and is not suitable for HGVs.
Archaeology and public realm
In January 2022 the restored Robert Burns statue returned to its original location on Baltic Street. Read more about the reinstatement. During the removal of the statue in 2019 we discovered a hidden time capsule in the base from when it was originally erected in 1898. In December 2021 we reinstated this time capsule along with a new one from 2021 for future generations to discover. Read more about the time capsule.
Works are also continuing on the South Leith Parish Church Wall. Download the South Leith Parish Church wall reinstatement plans (PDFs).