Talk about coronavirus
- Find out what your child already knows including misinformation. Remember a daily stream of news might increase anxiety. Try to be aware of what they are watching or overhearing.
- Think about what information is most relevant to share with your child, for example schools are still closed, we can phone grandparents instead of visit, we still have to wash our hands to keep well.
- Give them factual information but remember their age and stage of development. Focus on what we can do to keep everyone well.
- Prepare your child for what happens next, for example what they are doing later today or tomorrow. Avoid putting timeframes on when the current situation will change.
- You might need to revisit this conversation over several days or weeks as needed.
More information is available on talking about Covid-19 from the British Psychological Society