Comments and complaints

Social work advice and complaints

We are always looking at ways to improve the services we offer and welcome any comments you have.

We want to hear from you if you have any comments or wish to complain about a Council social care or social work service. This could be about services for adults or children. 

Before making a complaint, try speaking to the person working with you, or their manager. Things can often be put right by talking to those working directly with you.

If this does not resolve the issue, you can contact our complaints services. All complaints are treated with the strictest confidence.  You will not be discriminated against for making a complaint.

Children’s social work complaints

Tel: 0131 529 2572 (Voicemail)

E-mail: [email protected]

In writing: Children’s Services Social Work Complaints, 1.2 Waverley Court, 4 East Market Street, Edinburgh EH8 8BG

Community justice complaints

Tel: 0131 529 5340 (Voicemail)

E-mail: [email protected]

In writing: Community Justice Complaints, 1.8 Waverley Court, 4 East Market Street, Edinburgh EH8 8BG

Adults’ social work complaints

Tel: 0131 553 8395 (Voicemail)

E-mail: [email protected]

In writing: Edinburgh Health and Social Care Partnership, Social Work Advice and Complaints Service, 1.7 Waverley Court, 4 East Market Street, Edinburgh EH8 8BG

Healthcare complaints

If you are dissatisfied with your health care and wish to make a complaint, please contact the NHS Lothian Patient Experience Team.

When to complain

Complaints should be made within 6 months of the customer becoming aware of the problem. Complaints made later than 6 months will not be investigated unless there are exceptional circumstances.

The Council complaints procedure explains how investigations are carried out and sets out the different stages of the complaints process.

Complain to the Ombudsman

If the Council cannot resolve your complaint and you have completed all stages of the social work complaints process, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman to look into your complaint.

Complain to the Care Inspectorate

If your complaint is about a registered care service, you can complain to the Care Inspectorate. The Inspectorate is the independent regulator and can investigate your concerns.  You can check if a care service is registered by using the Care Inspectorate's care service list.