Home education

Apply to home school your child

If your child has been going to school you must get our consent before taking your child out of school.

If your child has not been going to school you do not need to get our consent.

Email Arran Finlay, Senior Education Officer, to discuss educating your child at home.


Download our home education policy - PDF

Teach your child at home

You don't need any qualifications or training to teach your child.

You must consider whether you can provide an

  • education that is suitable
  • appropriate resources
  • access to other children.

It is your responsibility to meet costs.

Read about home education on the the Scottish Government website.