Installing the LEZ
Last updated 26 January 2024
Over the coming months you will see changes on our streets to allow us to enforce the LEZ from 1 June 2024 onwards and to help people plan their journeys.
Installing signs and number plate recognition cameras
We will install signs at entry points to mark the LEZ from October 2023. We will install automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras around the zone from late 2023 through to early 2024. We will use a mobile enforcement vehicle from June 2024 to make sure that the most polluting vehicles are deterred from entering.
We have a zero tolerance policy to people who damage any public property. This includes LEZ
- power supplies
- ANPR cameras
- ANPR vehicles.
We also will not tolerate anyone who harasses, assaults or other criminal behaviour against the teams that are installing LEZ infrastructure or operating the LEZ. We will work with Police Scotland to prosecute anyone acting unlawfully.
Making changes to street layouts
We are making minor changes to street layouts and signals around the LEZ boundary that will take place in early 2024. These changes include:
- making Morrison Street two-way to all traffic from the Morrison Link-Morrison Street junction to the Dewar Place-Morrison Street junction
- adding a right hand turn from Morrison Link to Morrison Street eastbound and changing the signal
- changing signals and improving pedestrian crossing at the junction of Morrison Street, Gardners’ Cresent and Dewar Place. This includes
- wider footways
- removing guard railing
- adding cycle parking and planters
- creating continuous pavements at St David’s Place and St David’s Terrace on Morrison Street
- traffic will not be able to turn left from Morrison Street westbound to Gardners’ Crescent. This will give more time for ‘green man’ so that pedestrians going east to west have priority
- allowing traffic to turn right from Home Street to Brougham Street at Tollcross junction
- a new right turn filter from the Pleasance to Holyrood Road.
We will provide more information on the impacts for these street layout installations closer to the time. We will let residents in Morrison Street know ahead of work taking place.
Please follow our social media and LEZ webpages for updates.