Privately-owned trees

If you would like to do works to a tree, first check if the tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or in a conservation area.

Download guidance on protected trees (PDF, 244KB)

If it's not you don't need our permission to work on it. If trees are not in a garden work may still require felling permission from Scottish Forestry.

Check if a tree is protected

Our interactive map shows details of TPOs and conservation areas. Click on the points on the map for details.

If you are using a tablet or smartphone please use the mobile friendly version of the map.

Get permission for works to protected trees

Trees under a Tree Preservation Order (TPO)

Where TPOs protect individual trees, groups of trees or woodlands, permission is needed to carry out any work on these trees or which damages these trees. You can apply to carry out works on trees online. It is an offence to cut down, lop, top, uproot or wilfully damage or destroy a protected tree without permission.

Trees in a Conservation Area

Before starting any tree work within a Conservation Area, 6 weeks written notice must be given to us before any works can be carried out. The notice must detail the nature and extent of the proposed work and clearly identifying the tree(s).  You can notify us online.

Check if tree work has permission

Check if work to trees has permission using our online search.

Other issues

Nuisance trees

We cannot intervene in issues where trees on private property adversely affect adjacent private property.

Download guidance on privately owned trees (PDF, 164KB)

Trees on Council land

Read more about trees and woodlands.

Report foliage overhanging or causing a danger to a road or footpath 

Report overhanging foliage.

High Hedges

Read more about high hedges.