Please note that following Government advice regarding the Coronavirus pandemic, all car parks associated with the Pentland Hills Regional Park and Natural Heritage sites have been closed until further notice. This page will be updated when more information becomes available.
The Natural Heritage Service look after twelve sites across Edinburgh. They also manage Pentland Hills Regional Park on behalf of the Council, West Lothian Council and Midlothian Council.
The natural heritage sites are
- Burdiehouse Burn Valley Park Local Nature Reserve
- Cammo Estate
- Colinton Dell
- Corstorphine Hill Local Nature Reserve
- Easter Craiglockhart Hill Local Nature Reserve
- Craigmillar Castle Park
- Cramond Foreshore
- Hermitage of Braid and Blackford Hill Local Nature Reserve
- Meadows Yard Local Nature Reserve
- Ravelston Wood Local Nature Reserve
- River Almond Walkway
- Water of Leith
- Pentland Hills Regional Park
- Little France Park
Volunteering in natural heritage sites
There are a range of opportunities available at our sites for volunteers. You can get involved in conservation tasks, survey work or train to be an official volunteer ranger.
You can make a difference to the greenspace in Edinburgh while promoting parks and encouraging others to enjoy the outdoors. You can gain experience in environmental conservation and management.
If you want to know more, please contact the Natural Heritage Service.
The Natural Heritage Service runs a series of events throughout the year. From otter spotter training and meeting butterflies to becoming a nature detective, there is a range of activities for all ages and abilities to take part in.
We want you to enjoy the parks and learn about the fascinating history and wildlife. You can learn how to look after these special places.The Natural Heritage Service offers guidance on how to get the best from your visit. If you would like to visit one of our sites, please book in advance using the form below so we can
- help make your visit better.
- ensure your visit will not clash with other groups
- protect the resource you want to study and enjoy
- monitor the use of the resource.
Find out more abut the geology of the Natural Heritage sites at Lothian and Borders GeoConservation